What to Do If It Happened to You
It’s truly frightening… There were 6,000 reported sexual assaults by Uber drivers in 2019 alone. (And those were only the reported cases!)
We hope you have not been harmed, but it you were – we want to empower you to take legal action.
Most often women think only about calling the police (if they are not too frightened to do that!) – yet that is only a small and not even essential part of taking legal action for rideshare sexual assault cases.
We help women use the power of civil legal action to seek justice and push rideshare companies towards safer policies.
Here’s what we have learned:
What to do if you have been assaulted.
1) Seek medical treatment as soon as you can.
2) If a rape kit is necessary, go to a hospital to get help — but be sure to call the hospital first and ask if they have rape kits because not all hospitals do.
3) Make sure you take pictures of any injuries. They will help serve as evidence in whatever action you take.
4) Preserve the clothes you were wearing – just put the clothes in a bag in case they are needed. Do not wash the clothing.
5) File a report as soon as possible with the rideshare company. This will put them on notice, so the driver can be investigated and hopefully will get pulled from the platform so he and she can’t hurt anyone else.
6) If possible, file a police report to give the authorities the same evidence as mentioned above – the photographs, clothing, ride receipt, and access to the rape kit results from the hospital.
7) Call all your friends who were with you the night before, as well as any friends you told in the ensuing days. These friends will help give corroborating evidence for your case.
8) Most importantly, follow up with your doctor or therapist to help with both your physical and mental health!
It is important for you to know that all of this “preservation of evidence” will help you in a civil case AND if you decide to file a criminal case, it can help there, too. But remember: a civil case can be won, even when a criminal case is lost or not pursued by the district attorney!
We also want you to know that you don’t have to go it alone – we are here to help!
Sexual harassment and assault can leave you feeling isolated, confused, and angry so if you’ve been hurt– either physically or emotionally– you deserve to be heard, and you deserve justice.
That’s where A Case for Women comes in. We’ve partnered with the country’s leading ridesharing litigation firm to help you get the justice, the financial compensation, and ultimately, the closure you deserve. Concerned about legal fees? Don’t be. Your attorney will front all costs and will only get their fee, if/when you achieve a positive settlement or verdict.
To learn more about taking civil legal action for something that happened to you please contact us.